Thursday, July 9, 2015

[Review: Everything Leads To You by Nina LaCour]

"Everything Leads To You"
Author: Nina LaCour
Series: None
Pages: 307
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Date Published: May 15th, 2014
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Format Read: Hardcover from the library

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary:

A love letter to the craft and romance of film and fate in front of—and behind—the camera from the award-winning author of Hold Still.

A wunderkind young set designer, Emi has already started to find her way in the competitive Hollywood film world.

Emi is a film buff and a true romantic, but her real-life relationships are a mess. She has desperately gone back to the same girl too many times to mention. But then a mysterious letter from a silver screen legend leads Emi to Ava. Ava is unlike anyone Emi has ever met. She has a tumultuous, not-so-glamorous past, and lives an unconventional life. She’s enigmatic…. She’s beautiful. And she is about to expand Emi’s understanding of family, acceptance, and true romance.
-Goodreads
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts:

An Open Letter To Everything Leads To You,

You were finally a LaCour book that I liked. Not only were you different, but you also dived into an interesting part of Hollywood that people don't usually pay any attention to. On top of that your words were really pretty. Overall I liked you.

-The White Unicron

I've only read one other LaCour book (The Disenchantments) and I have to say that I wasn't that impressed. I felt like there was no way that her main character was actually a male, and I said in that review that I wished that he would have been a lesbian, because I felt like he would have seemed more honest. Well, as soon as I heard that Everything Leads To You featured a lesbian protagonist, I knew that I had to read it, just to see if my hunch was correct. I have to say that I really liked this book. Emi's voice was honest, and she held all the sincerity as a character that I was missing with my first LaCour experience. 

The thing that is so refreshing about this novel is that it doesn't feel like a statement piece. Sure there is a love story between two girls, but it isn't the main focus of the story. There is a huge mystery, Hollywood antics, the filming of an Indie movie, and finding yourself, playing in the background. LaCour fits so much into this book, that you find yourself pulled right in, and the diversity of the characters adds to the story. 
  
I loved all the Hollywood history in the book. Emi and her best friend find a note in a dead western stars' vinyl record that they bought at an estate sale, and the story gets going right away as they try to get the letter to its rightful owner. This leads them to Ava. 

There is an ongoing mystery as Ava tries to figure out things about her life. And there is also an Indie film being made that Emi has signed on to be the set designer for. So, no matter where you look, you're surrounded by the backstage parts of the movie business. I loved the details that made it into the book. Emi's job is one that you never hear talked about like this, and I have to say that it was one of my favorite bits of the story.

If you're looking for a love story that has something new to offer, and if you love Hollywood glamour, than may I suggest this delightful little story. I think you'll love it!

Rating:
4 Unicorns = Close to perfect!

No comments: