Tuesday, June 30, 2015

[Review: P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han]

"P.S. I Still Love You"
Author: Jenny Han
Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #2
Pages: 337
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Date Published: May 26th, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Format Read: Hardcover from the library

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary:

Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.
 
-Goodreads
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts:

An Open Letter To P.S. I Still Love You,

You really get what young love is like, don't you? I love that you're not afraid to show a lot of different sides to the whole "first love" thing. Lara Jean has to deal with things that we all had to deal with in high school (or that we are dealing with) and I adore her. You're love story is darling, and I also love your use of Assassin, because it's one of the best games out there. Book, you rock!

-The White Unicorn

I absolutely adored Han's To All The Boys I Loved Before, so of course I knew I needed to see what new shenanigans Lara Jean was going to get into in this novel. I'm so glad that I made time for it. The book picks up right where the first one left off, which means we get to read Lara Jean's letter to Peter right off the bat. Let me just tell you, it's adorable, and gave me all of the feels even before the real story started. 

Han has a wonderful grasp on what it like to be in love in high school. In fact, I find that I still find myself relating to thoughts and things that Lara Jean is dealing with in the novel. She's a one of those main characters that is easy to relate to. I don't think that you have to be in high school to understand her, and that is really awesome. I think it is safe to say that Laura Jean is one of my favorite contemporary characters that I have read. 

The book, on top of being flat out cute, also deals with some really important issues. Han chooses to write about bullying in a way that also includes the leaking of a video of a scandalous variety. I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that she makes some really good points about how males and females are treated when sexual things are brought to light. Han handles it all really well, and I was glad that she decided to make the video leak a part of the story. She says things in a way that girls need to hear, and I'm glad that it's out there in this format. 

Lara Jean has two love interests in the book, but I never felt like it was a love triangle. Maybe because there were never confessions of undying love from any of them. I like that Han writes characters that are figuring out how to have relationships. They like each other, but there isn't this "we are going to be together forever and we are in high school and I can't wait to die in a hundred years together because this is so realistic" type thing. Peter and John both have wonderful characteristics, and they both bring something out in Lara Jean. I can't help but adore both boys. 

Let's just say that I am really hoping that we get to see more of Lara Jean and the rest of the characters that I have come to enjoy so much in these books. Han, please write more!

Rating:
 
     5 Unicorns = Get your hands on this NOW!

No comments: