Wednesday, June 17, 2015

[Review: Gates If Thread And Stone by Lori M. Lee]

"Gates of Thread and Stone"
Author: Lori M. Lee
Series: Gates of Thread and Stone #1
Pages: 335
Genre: YA, Dystopian, Mythology
Date Published: August 5th, 2014
Publisher: Skyscape
Format Read: eARC provided by publisher (via NetGalley) for honest review

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary:

In the Labyrinth, we had a saying: keep silent, keep still, keep safe.

In a city of walls and secrets, where only one man is supposed to possess magic, seventeen-year-old Kai struggles to keep hidden her own secret—she can manipulate the threads of time. When Kai was eight, she was found by Reev on the riverbank, and her “brother” has taken care of her ever since. Kai doesn’t know where her ability comes from—or where she came from. All that matters is that she and Reev stay together, and maybe one day move out of the freight container they call home, away from the metal walls of the Labyrinth. Kai’s only friend is Avan, the shopkeeper’s son with the scandalous reputation that both frightens and intrigues her.

Then Reev disappears. When keeping silent and safe means losing him forever, Kai vows to do whatever it takes to find him. She will leave the only home she’s ever known and risk getting caught up in a revolution centuries in the making. But to save Reev, Kai must unravel the threads of her past and face shocking truths about her brother, her friendship with Avan, and her unique power. 
-Goodreads
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts:

An Open Letter To Gates Of Thread And Stone,

You were action packed, fast paced, and full of adventure. So basically, you were just what I was looking for. I'm still wondering why it took me so long to actually read you? It's a valid question. Kai was an unknown badass, and Avan was something else as well. Between the fun plot, and the cool characters, I liked you a lot!

-The White Unicorn

It's been awhile since I've read a dystopian novel, and I'm really glad that this is the one I ended up picking up. Gates of Thread and Stone is just what I wanted it to be. Lee not only gives us an exciting story, she also gives us some really interesting characters. 

Honestly, even though I like the plot, I have to say that it is pretty basic. There are little twists and turns, but it's kind of your typical Dystopian. The part where Lee differs is the fact that she adds mythology into everything. Along with little dashes of magic. So while Lee's plot is simple, her world building is really well thought out and layered. It makes for a plesent reading experience. 

Lee also does the same thing with her characters. They might seem familiar at first, but she adds these details that make them come alive. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am really impressed by Lee's ability to take all these basic elements and make them sparkle in a way that you haven't seen before. 

Kai is strong. She's a fighter, she knows what she has to do, and she does it. She doesn't second guess herself. On the other hand, she has no idea what she's doing, and she knows it. I really liked her. Her loyalty to her family and the people in her life was intense, and I dug it! 

Avan was really cool. He's layered, and he's not your typical love interest. Lee decided to make him bi-sexual, and I think it was the perfect choice. You don't see it very often, and it made the romance really interesting! 

Speaking of romance, Lee has a really good handle on creating the slow burn. Some writers have it, and it's clear that she is one of them. I found myself shipping Kai and Avan before they even realized that they liked each other. I think I was yelling at them to "just kiss already" more than once while reading. 

So, if you're looking for a book full of adventure, interesting characters, and a ship that will leave you shipping for days, here it is!

Rating:
 
4 Unicorns = Close to perfect!

No comments: