Monday, December 15, 2014

[Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books Read In 2014]

 Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly linkup hosted by The Broke And The Bookish!
 
Gah, how do I only pick 10 books that I loved from this year? I feel like I'm going to be cheating. This year has been a great reading year, with lots of awesome reads. Sure, there were duds, but I didn't realize how many 4 and 5 unicorn reads where on my Goodreads shelf. So, here we go...
 
 
 
 
"A Mad, Wicked Folly" by Sharon Briggs Waller: Nude painting, woman's rights and Victorian love. Need I say more?

"All The Truth That's In Me" by Julie Berry: It's a historical mystery involving a cut out tongue and an interesting writing style!

"Cruel Beauty" by Rosamund Hodge: It's a dark, twisted "Beauty and the Beast" retelling. What more could you want from a book?

"Girl Defective" by Simmone Howell: Australia, music and super kitchy characters. I think this might have been my favorite this year?

"In A Handful Of Dust" by Mindy McGinnis: It's the sequel to "Not A Drop To Drink" and it's just as dark, gritty and amazing as the first one!

"Of Metal And Wishes" by Sarah Fine: I will read anything that Fine writes, but the fact that this is a "Phantom of the Opera" retelling and I love it!

"Prisoner Of Night And Fog" by Anne Blankman: This book gives a different look at World War Two. The main character is Hitler's unofficial niece and the facts are bone chilling.

"Heir Of Fire" by Sarah J. Maas: I love this series and I'll love it till it ends. Some of the newest characters are some of my favorites.

"The Cure For Dreaming" by Cat Winters: Another book about woman's rights at the turn of the century, but this one adds hypnotism and vampires into the mix!

"Winterspell" by Claire Legrand: It's a slightly demented, creepy, fantastical retelling of "The Nutcracker"!

"Graffiti Moon" by Cath Crowley: This book is all about street art and coming of age and I adore both of those things.

"Salvage" by Alexandra Duncan: It's a Sci-Fi standalone and it's pretty darn amazing!

Well there's my list!  What's on yours?  I wanna know.  Leave your link below or tell me in the comments!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Ooh, I just got GRAFFITI MOON and have heard it's good! Yesss to HEIR OF FIRE. And I tried to read WINTERSPELL but after like thirty pages I was sooo bored so I put it aside. I still need to read a Cat Winters book! And A MAD, WICKED FOLLY was a contender for me!

Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

Captivated Reader said...

I haven't read any of the books you've mentioned in your post. I'll have to check them out! Here is a link to my TTT list for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2014/12/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-i-read-in.html

Anonymous said...

I have Prisoner of Night and Fog on my list this week. I couldn't resist it! I really need to read A Mad Wicked Folly. I've heard such amazing things. I'm glad to see Heir of Fire on your list. I'm currently reading it!

Ronyell (a.k.a. Rabbitearsblog) said...

Wow! Great list! Winterspell looks pretty interesting! Check out my top 10 list!

http://rabbitearsbookblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/top-ten-tuesday-8-top-10-books-i-read.html

Jess @ Jessticulates said...

Great list! Plenty of these books are on my TBR; judging by the amount of times I've seen it I really need to read Cruel Beauty soon!

Christina / Book Addict said...

I really enjoyed The Cure for Dreaming…my first Cat Winters book! I also want to read Cruel Beauty…just picked up a copy! Great list!

Ashley said...

I need to pick up Cruel Beauty, I have it on my shelf but have yet to read it. I LOVED Graffiti Moon! Winterspell was just okay for me, I think I was hoping for something different.

Ashley @ The Quiet Concert