Monday, April 21, 2014

[Top Ten Tuesday: Female Characters Who Stick It To The Man]

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly linkup hosted by The Broke And The Bookish!

There is one type of character that I love reading more than all the rest.  A strong female character who is able to do what needs to be done even in the most dire circumstances.  (Super snarky characters are a close second)  But that being said, there is nothing like watching a YA heroine actually be a hero.  Sure they might have the help of a handsome gent, but these girls aren't the ones who would dissolve into a pool of tears or become immobile with fear even if they were alone.  So here they are, the bravest of the brave, the nonconformists and the female characters who have the guts to make the tough calls.

 
 
Gretchen Muller from "Prisoner of Night and Fog

Wynne from "Deliver Me"

Maddie and Verity from "Code Name Verity"

Lela Santos from "Sanctum"

Lynn from "Not a Drop to Drink"

Scarlet from "Scarlet"


Mary Shelley Black from "In the Shadow of Blackbirds"


Ava from "Salvage"

Well there's my list!  What's on yours?  I wanna know.  Leave your link below or tell me in the comments!

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Scarlet is such a badass. And I NEED to read, like, all of these, especially CODE NAME VERITY, THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS, IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS, and THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. Great list, and thanks for stopping by!

Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

Shay(The Story Goes...) said...

Even though I haven't read many of these books I totally agree! I am so sick of the female main characters who need a guy to hold their hand all the way through or who burst into tears once a chapter. Great list!

Unknown said...

This was such a good idea! :) I love heroines as well who stand up for themselves and are not the damsels in distress. I have few of these on my TBR list so I think I need to move them up a bit on the list. :)

Lili said...

AHHH THE TITLE THOUGH!

I approve so hard of this list, especially SANCTUM, SCARLET, PRISONER OF NIGHT AND FOG, and GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS.

I really need to read In The Shadow of Blackbirds (because you put it everywhere) and Code Name Verity (because EVERYONE puts that one everywhere)

kimberlybuggie said...

This is such a great list. I liked Kitty Hawk and Julie in Code Name Verity. What amazing girls! And I love Scarlet. I haven't read Prisoner of Night and Fog yet but I hear it's amazing.
Happy Tuesday!

Margo Berendsen said...

I love the category you picked, well, because mine was kind of similar, but you picked a much better description! Characters Who Stick It to the Man! Scarlet, oh yeah. And Girl of Fire and Thorns (made my list), one of my favorites. Code Name Verity, too. Salvage is definitely on my list.

Unknown said...

I haven't read any of those books, but after seeing your topic I now want to read Scarlet. That looks good. :)

Have a good week


My Top Ten Tuesday

Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

Nicole said...

Have I told you what impeccable taste in books you have? ;)