Tuesday, February 5, 2013

[Warm Bodies: A Film Review]

--------------------------
Movie Summary (via IMDB)

After R (a highly unusual zombie) saves Julie from an attack, the two form a relationship that sets in motion a sequence of events that might transform the entire lifeless world.
--------------------------

My Review:

I took myself to see "Warm Bodies" on Superbowl Sunday.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  Other then a whole bunch of women being there, with no males in sight.  I had heard good things, but ever since the "Twilight" films YA film to movie adaptations tend to freak me out.  I have to be honest and tell you that I have seen all the "Twilight" films, but I've never been a fan of them.

So, I was happily surprised when I came out of the movie theater with a HUGE smile on my face.  I was blown away by the movie.  I haven't read the book yet, but I'm hunting it down as you read this.

Seriously, the script of this film was so impressive.  From the opening credits to the very last seconds of the film.  It was funny, it was snarky, it was emotional or emotionless as it were, it was gory, it was dark, it was twisted and the most impressive thing was that it was intensely self aware.  How do you pull off a self aware zombie movie?  Make your main character self aware, or at least more self aware than all the rest of the zombies that surround him.

It was the indie feel to Warm Bodies that wrapped you up in what was happening, without being flashy, which added to it's flow and awesomeness.  The filming technique, the color contrast and the music were all perfect.  Who doesn't love a hunky looking zombie fellow who also listens to classic vinyl because it makes him feel more "alive"?!  (For a track listing head over to my Music Blog)  While I'm on the subject the casting was awesome.  Nicholas Hoult as R (our zombie fellow) and Teresa Palmer as Julie had the most perfect, awkward chemistry.  Though both have been in a few larger films, this is the one that stands out to me as some of their best performances.

The supporting cast was awesome too.  With Analeigh Tipton, Rob Corrdry, Dave Franco and John Malkovich rounding out the cast.

The thing is that this movie surprised me.  It wasn't until a point near the end when it dawned on me that this is a twisted retelling of a classic piece of literature.  If you look at the leads names you might get it before I did?  Guess I should try to look into things before I see them?  Or maybe I like going in with no more info that "it's based on a YA novel"?

In a way I'm really glad that I haven't read the book yet (still hunting for it).  I got to fall in love with the film first, having nothing to compare it to.  Who knows if I would feel the same way if I had read it first?  Guess I'll have to let you know after I get my hands on a copy.

Straight up I'll tell you (just like Paula Abdul) if I were going to write a zombie movie, it would basically be this one.  So, I guess that means I can go ahead and scratch "write a zombie movie" off my list and just makes people watch this instead.

So, have you seen "Warm Bodies"?  What did you think about it?  Let's talk!

Rating:
     

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great review! I have always wanted to watch it since I saw its trailer for the first time. It does look like a really good film. Can't wait to see it and love it (I am pretty sure!)

xx
The Young Bridget Jones

Anonymous said...

Awesome review! I'm so glad you liked this one so much! The dialogue and the concept of everything just sounds so amazing and insanely epic! I definitely have to watch the movie soon and it jut sounds so hilarious!

Brianna said...

yay! I'm now following this lovely new blog! (: so excited for you. Hopefully I'll get much better at commenting too (: but know I'm reading!!

when i first saw the previews i thought this looked dumb but have since been intrigued! I may have to check it out and totally didn't even know it was based on a book! Once I actually balance my life and make room for reading (since it's been so long since i've been able to sit down and open up a book) it's definitely going on my list!

♥ Nadine said...

I agree, awesome review. The whole time I thought seeing the movie would be the last thing I'd do. The idea to fall in love with a zombie just seemed so gross (thanks, The Walking Dead...). But now I need to reconsider my point of view... Maybe I'll head to the cinema this weekend.

Thanks for sharing, friend.
Have a great rest of the week. xo.

Charlotte said...

I downloaded the book on audible.com! It's one of their featured books right now. I'm looking forward to starting it.

Dan O. said...

I mostly love zombie movies, and I always love seeing a different take on the genre, especially one where you actually believe in the love between a zombie and a human. Good review Christianna.

Chrissy said...

I cannot wait to see it! And I had no idea you had another blog! Hugs xxx